Maria's blog
We entered our first official race thanks to the Hansens!
The race was at 7:00am in Mulvane, KS. We were up at 5:30am getting ourselves and the girls ready. The kids were confused but excited to go.
We met the Berryman family at the Hansens' house and then drove the 20 minutes to Mulvane. We were greeted with our packets and spent some time "stretching" our legs and our mouths. I think that we all talked more than we actually did any of our stretches! :)
Anyhow, the race began and we all took off. Lacy stayed behind to watch all 6 kids. She had entered the 4 mile race while the rest of us sorry saps entered the 1 mile race. Lacy is such a show up! I love you girl! By the way she did a great job at the 4 mile race!
As we started running everyone ran ahead and I lagged behind. The only one behind me was an old man pushing a jogging stroller and the little boy belched really loud right after we started. I just laughed. I left my oldest sobbing that she couldn't race with me.
I should say that this was the first time I have run in over a year. I didn't even get a chance to run before the race. So it really was my first run. Duane did a great job, he finished at 8 minutes and 20 seconds. He was there at the end yelling for me when I crossed the finish line at 10 minutes and 22 seconds. I wanted to beat the older man pushing the jogging stroller and I did!
I wore my bright red Nike split-toed running shoes and I think that I was the only one with red shoes. It was in honor of Dorothy, that and I couldn't find my other running shoes! It might be time to invest in some other shoes soon.
All in all I think that I really enjoyed this race. Probably because it encourages me that I can do it and it helps to have some friends that are encouraging along the way too.
2 comments:
Check out Duane and Maria's sweet finishes here:
http://lacyhansen.blogspot.com
You guys did great, I'm so glad we got to share it with you!
I like the red shoes Maria! So, do you think you are going to take up this running thing? Sorry we could not make it. We sure missed out. I hear there are many more to come and maybe we could prepare for these:)
Post a Comment