Lately, I have found myself in a strange spot. Contentment has taken up residence in my home. He came in sometime while I was not looking and made himself comfortable on my couch. He strides around looking for other rooms to relax in. Not only has he invaded my home but he has invaded certain areas of my heart too.
I don't quite remember when he crept in but he has been hiding himself for some time now. I see it in the way I do housework. I see it in the way I am finally relaxing enough to start decorating my home. Maybe I am just tired enough that I am not as uptight as I used to be. Contentment has other friends I have found.
Laziness. This is a friend that I just abhor ed when I first met him. I didn't understand how anyone could ever invite this slob in. He is apathetic about everything that concerns others. He says, "I'll get to that later." He doesn't mind a mess or an errand that needs done. He cannot see that anything could be so pressing that it needs to "get done now."
These friends brought another one along that I have begun to confront lately. I am tired of his shenanigans. He tries to play with my children and I don't want them making friends with him. Fear. Why keep company with him? What good does he bring? He is a downer too. There is no life in him so that's why I've told him to leave and don't ever think about coming back because he isn't welcome.
I know that they'll invite more of their friends over if I don't keep close tabs on them. The more they bring the harder it is to control them.
"A Christian is held captive by anything that hinders the abundant and effective Spirit-filled life God planned for him or her." -Beth Moore, from her book, Breaking Free
What other areas am I held captive to? I see these things coming up each time I am forced to step out of my "comfort level." I am entering into a new season in my life that I know will require me to take more steps outside of myself and trust the Lord.
"Since ancient times no one has heard, no ear has perceived, no eye has seen any God besides you, who acts on behalf of those who wait for him." Isaiah 64:4
He wants to act on my behalf but he's waiting on me to wait on him. Wasn't He trustworthy in the past? Of course! Why can't I trust Him for the present, what about the future? It is the hold that these so called "friends" have on my life. They get extremely jealous too if I spend more time with one over the other. I'm tired of trying to please these "friends", they just need to leave!
So I am "spring cleaning" my life and ridding myself of the friends that don't bring life to my life!
No comments:
Post a Comment