Last night we celebrated Annie's 2nd birthday with friends. As I floated throughout our home, I was reminded of why we initiatially we were all brought together. All in all we had 27 people, children and babies included. Five years ago we would not have hosted such a group in our home. We didn't know many of these friends. Over the past 3 years many of our friendships have flourished.
We've witnessed healings, broken addictions, marriages restored, diseases, brokeness, losses, births (Norah, Annie, Addy, Kyle and Ruby), financial gains and losses, and job changes. We've shared the mundane. We've experienced the highs. We've laughed together over really ridiculous things, cried over extremely sad things, fought over dumb things and matured in wonderful ways...in short we've experienced life together.
As I think over our group of friends, we've gained something from each of them that has caused us to become a better person. Community. It is defined in some places as: (having) similar character; agreement; identity. What is it that pulls us together?
Our identity in Jesus.
"Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved." (Acts 2:46-47)
My one regret in this community is that I don't pray more for my friends. It is extremely easy to say, "I'll pray for you," but how much more meaningful to actually do it. Forgive me for not taking more time when we are together to pray for you.
Much of this post stems from what I witness what my brother and sister-in-law are experiencing. Though they are 800+ miles away, my heart is renching in sorrow for their community. Their best friends have experienced a tremendous loss and it aches me to hear how broken they are. Eight hundred miles cannot shake the community I have with them. My mind has been in prayer for them so often that I almost feel as if I am near them. I know that is because of Jesus.
No matter what the community experiences, the members are bound by a greater Thread. Expereience life together without the superficiality of the world and it changes people. Those who don't know Jesus will see something different and want to be a part of it.
"All the believers were together and had everything in common." (Acts 2:44)
No comments:
Post a Comment