Friday, May 19, 2006

Black Cat and feathers

Maria's blog

I know that being a mother requires a lot of skills, many which I do not possess, but hopefully in time, my children will come to forgive me. Sewing, I would like to think, is one that I have, ok, maybe I wish for it! I still proceed without the skill anyway. Case in point...I was really excited about some material I found for the girls and I decided that I would make them dresses out of it. I gathered the material and took some rough measurements of how tall they were and where their arms would be. And then I proceeded to cut the material. Mind you the entire time I am thinking, "Ok, I don't have a pattern to go off of, I know what a dress looks like, right?" Yeah, so that didn't go quite as planned. I had to give up not too long into the project because of some miscalculations!

I could go on about the hundreds of 4x4 inch squares I cut when Jena was 2 months old, my idea...to sew a quilt for our bed. I was so excited, about 1 year later I got enough put together to sew a bumper cover for Jena's crib that she would soon be outgrowing. I did recover that loss of time though, I used it for Paige's crib! :)

I will spare you the other stories of sewing mishaps along the way to my point for today...we are attending Samuel McKinley's birthday party tonight and the dress is SUPER HERO attire. So, I have little girls with cute, prissy, fluffy dresses and dress up shoes, nothing that resembles a super hero! Duane got on line last night to find a super hero worthy of Jena and Paige and he found BLACK CAT, she is a friend of Spiderman. She wears a simple black outfit with white fur around the collar and wrists. She wears a really cool mask though. So my ingenious idea is to make this costume for the girls. I know what you are thinking, "Maria, the party is tonight!"
Well, well, I came through!

I found that the girls have black leotards and I found a white boa. So I cut the boa and stitched it onto the leotard. Feathers went everywhere, I must admit I didn't think that would happen. But the outfit came out really cute. Now, the rest of the night I will be following the girls picking up the feathers!

I must say that I was beginning to think that I had an issue with finishing projects, I think that I just need to be a bit more realistic in my endeavors. Maybe now I can figure out how to publish pictures with my posts so that you may see what an incredible seamstress I am becoming!

2 comments:

Travis R. said...

I want to see the pictures of the girls in thier outfits! You need to have Lacy (aka the "masta") show you how to post pics. Or you could make your hubby show you, but that might result in him actually having to get involved in this silly blog thing. I mean, who in thier right mind takes the time to actually blog??!!

Steph said...

You are sure adventurous in this sewing thing. I sewed a dress a about 4 years ago and it did not highlight me whatsoever! Unless it is a quilt with simple, straight, and square stitches I don't have the patience. Yes, I am short on patience and I have a little anger problem. You got a problem with that anyone! He, he, he.

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mother of 4 little girls who fill my life with so much joy and satisfaction. I love it!!!