Monday, April 09, 2007

Re-birthday!

I had the privilege of spending the weekend with family.

I flew into town on Thursday night, after a lay-over in St. Louis. Annie did surprisingly well for over 12 hours of traveling that day. Although I was a bit nervous on our flight out of town, a business man approached our seats and said, "Oh no, I don't know if I want to do this," referring to sitting next to me and my baby. But we enjoyed our hour and a half together. We talked the
entire way there and he helped to entertain Annie.

We snacked on airport food, took long walks around the terminal and watched as our flight departure time was delayed twice. She learned some new baby signs while we were there and I learned the delicate art of attending to restroom duties with a stroller and screaming baby in a smaller than normal handicapped stall.

We arrived at my parents house just after 1:00am and Annie was wide awake. She didn't take too well to being in a new crib so she slept with me and I awoke to her falling out of bed! Needless to say I was really tired Friday morning. We drove an hour to visit my friend Tammy and her family then spent the rest of the afternoon at David and Jenny's house. I really enjoyed my time with them. Augustine is getting so big and he made it very clear that Annie was not to touch his toys! :) I surprised him with Thomas the Train and I think we became fast friends.

As I was driving around town, I felt so lost. It has been 3 1/2 years since we left but it was more than not remembering street names, Duane wasn't with me. At some points it was nice to not have the responsibility of caring for two more children but they are my life. They are my heart and I felt a bit out of place without them.

Saturday we spent with my parents and began a search for Annie's Easter dress. We tried several different places but sweaters were a necessity in Ohio (it snowed almost the entire time I was there!) All winter clothing is put away in stores and the spring stuff is out. We settled on a cute little skirt and jacket. I also found a nice shirt and sweater vest.

Sunday came quickly. We arrived at my parents' church early and soon my grandfather arrived. He shared with me the testimony he was going to share before his baptism. I had no words. I just never thought that I would ever be in this place with him and it was his. It was his moment, it was his re-birth, it was his dedication to Someone that was changing him. He had his Bible with him too. God does amazing things. His word says that He do more than we ask or imagine. This is so much more than I had ever imagined.

I also ran into some close friends too. The Perry Family adopted me during college. While I was living with them their third youngest son was attending kindergarten and now he is a sophomore in high school. It was really good to catch up with them and to reminisce about how much we all have changed.

My uncle Mike and aunt Jerri came as did all my cousins: Jenny and her son Gabe, Kelly, Christy and Steve. As we sang during the service I was overcome with the thought that I was worshipping with my whole family. Sometimes I couldn't sing because of the emotions I was experiencing. Soon, my grandfather got up to share his testimony. As I held the camera to record him, I started sobbing. What a moment. My grandfather was laid bare, his emotions and his declaration of what a change Jesus has made in his life was overwhelming. Eight others were baptized along with him.

We shared lunch at my parent's house afterwards. It is in those moments that the Lord reveals what a sweet time we have when we are with other believers. My grandmother was missing and I felt that heavily. But even so, what a time to be celebrating!

2 Corinthians 6:2 says that today is the day of salvation, don't wait till tomorrow. I am so thankful for what the Lord has done!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mother of 4 little girls who fill my life with so much joy and satisfaction. I love it!!!