Thursday, December 21, 2006

Searching for the perfect gift?

Duane and I have an ongoing discussion every year at Christmas.

I have come to accept what he has tried to tell me for the past 8 years...I am not a very good gift giver. I give other people what I would like to get. In my defense I think that I could quote, "Treat others the way you want to be treated." Right?

Duane says that he throws out hints throughout the year and if I am paying attention I should pick up on those hints and know what he really wants. If I point-blank ask him, he is very vague. So far this year, what I have picked up on is that he really wants an Audi TT or an IPod. OK, my poor bank account cannot afford to buy my husband a new car and I only scored last year on a gift like XM Radio because of one of Duane's best friends clued me in on it. I am at a loss.

I try so hard to pick out a gift for him but it usually back fires. For instance when we were dating I was really excited because I was finally beginning to understand who he enjoyed listening to. I picked up on Bob Dylan. He had a few pictures of him lying around and a few of his CDs. So I found Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits. I wrapped it up and was so excited to give it to him. Yeah...he already has it.

Next year, we are engaged, I am getting a little better or so I think. Duane has shared with me his enormous collection of Star Wars toys and memorabilia. I find a Star Wars Monopoly game, wrap it up and give it to him...AGAIN, he already has it.

I think the next year I finally did it. I paid attention and saved up a lot of money and purchased a really nice Sony CD player for him. He was really excited, he could now listen to that extra copy of Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits. Too bad the Star Wars Monopoly sits in a box in the basement, still in its original plastic wrap.

Now I just blame the bad gifts on the kids, "They picked it out Duane, sorry." Since I scored one point last year, I am due for a bad present this year. Here's to the perfect gift that doesn't exist in my world!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mother of 4 little girls who fill my life with so much joy and satisfaction. I love it!!!