Well we made it back from the "heart of it all." Ohio's state slogan used to be the "heart of it all," because the state is somewhat shaped like a heart. But "they" have recently changed the slogan to something so lame that I can't even remember what it is!
Anyhow, we made the trip there in 14 1/2 hours. Record time for us! We even left town 4 hours later than we anticipated! Duane developed a game 2 years ago to pass the time on a drive to St. Louis with a friend, so we played that. It is called the "Monte Carlo" game.
To play the game, one must know what a Chevy Monte Carlo automobile looks like. I have been perfecting my skills over the past several months. When a Monte Carlo passes by, the player yells, "Carlo, (insert color of car)" and they receive one point. If by mistake the player calls another car by that name they lose 2 points. Kudos for the "Dale Earnhardt" edition, racing stripes, checkered flag logos, you just never know what type of graphics are on those Carlos.
So we began early on in our trip, Duane was ahead by 1 and he mistakenly called "Carlo" when it wasn't one and he dipped down to -2. Ah ha! I was ready for the competition! We battled through the turnpike, the long state of Missouri, Illinois and we were thinking we were in prime "Carlo" land when we got to Indiana!
We continued to play throughout the week, knowing that we missed a lot and we didn't count car dealerships along the way, "No fair!" We even stopped playing if the other one was tending the children or napping.
In writing this, I am hoping to generate some ideas for the punishment of the loser and some great rewards for the winner. I will reveal the scores in a later blog, after we come up with the reward system. If you have any ideas, let me know, we'd love to hear them!
1 comment:
That's awesome! Kenton and I had to swaer off the slug bug game that his little brothers got us hooked on. (one point per bug, no slugs, and a bonus point for a Hummer... very mature I know!)
After the obsession grew on a drive down to Dallas, we were becoming less like loved ones and more like bug counting enemies!
Kudos to you for remaining friends for that 14 hour drive! Excited to hear the results and hear more about your trip than about the passing Chevys!
Post a Comment