As I drove home the other day, something caught my eye as I turned left at an intersection. I drove past a church, which is a bit rare in my town, and saw their sign out front. The sermon title for this week's message was, "Christ is the longest part of Christmas." I thought, "Of course it is."But as I continued driving home, that message kept going through my mind.
"Christ is the longest part of Christmas."
I have noticed recently that the politically correct thing to say is "Happy Holidays." When I was at the library the other day, the woman leading story time said, "Happy Holidays" and a little boy yelled out, "Merry Christmas" and she responded, "Or Happy Hanukkah or Happy Kwanzaa we celebrate all." My friend turned to me and responded, "Is that what they say out in Kansas? Is everything so politically correct?"
I was thinking a lot about it over the weekend. Why are people afraid to speak the name of Christ? Is it really fear? Is it the awe-inspired fear the Israelites had in the Old Testament, they dared not even speak Yahweh's name?
I don't think so.
I feel challenged to speak about Jesus wherever I go. Doesn't matter if it is "Merry Christmas" or whatever I feel the Lord urging me to say, I want to do it and not be afraid I offend someone.
No comments:
Post a Comment