Sunday, May 20, 2007

Is He-Quite Safe?


I have had the privilege for the second time to sit down with my girls and read to them from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. We have been taking the book one chapter at a time and reviewing what the previous chapter was about before reading the next. Jena loves it because she is learning to read over my shoulder and tries to follow along. Paige likes it because we lay on Mommy's bed and snuggle together, the only thing she is trying to follow along with are the sketches throughout the book. I enjoy the closeness I feel with my girls but also I am beginning to understand the parallels that are depicted in Aslan the lion to Jesus.

Towards the beginning of the book the characters find themselves wandering about in Narnia. They realize at some point that they are in danger and they are led by some beavers to a safe place. During a conversation with Mr. and Mrs. Beaver, the Beavers explain why it is always winter in Narnia. The self-described Jadis, Queen of Narnia, has placed a spell over Narnia that it will always be winter. The only way the spell will break is with the help of Aslan, a lion. The children begin asking questions about Aslan, whom they've just found out they will soon meet:

"Ooh!" said Susan, "I'd thought he was a man. Is he-quite safe? I shall feel rather nervous about meeting a lion."

"That you will, dearie, and no mistake, " said Mrs. Beaver, "if there's anyone who can appear before Aslan without their knees knocking, they're either braver than most or else just silly."

"Then he isn't safe?" said Lucy.

"Safe?" said Mr. Beaver; "don't you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? 'Course he isn't safe. But he's good. He's the King, I tell you."

"I'm longing to see him," said Peter, "even if I do feel frightened when it comes to the point." (pp. 79-80)


As Aslan and the children meet, they do feel themselves in awe in his presence. They feel peace when they are near him and they feel stronger being in his presence too. That is how it is when we are in Jesus' presence. I think that we are all longing for something that we cannot describe. Something deep inside us desires to be a part of something wonderful, bigger than ourselves. But until we have a chance to be in the King's presence we aren't sure how we can have that desire fulfilled. What makes the adventure so great is that it isn't predictable, it isn't safe, it is completely wild. But it is good, it is what He has planned for us. He is good to us, He has good intentions in our lives too.

Yesterday, as the girls and I lay on my bed I read another chapter to them. I cannot count how many times I have read this book, it is my favorite. But as I lay reading to them I was struck by the depth of this picture in the chapter that took my breath away and I began to cry as I read to them.

Aslan is on a journey by himself and the girls find themselves unable to sleep and so they begin to follow him. After awhile of stealing into the shadows, Aslan turns around to see them and invites them to walk with him. He seems quiet and they begin to wonder what is wrong with him.

"Aslan! Dear Aslan!" said Lucy, "what is wrong? Can't you tell us?"

"Are you ill, dear Aslan?" asked Susan.

"No," said Aslan. "I am sad and lonely. Lay your hands on my mane so that I can feel you are there and let us walk like that."

And so the girls did what they would never have dared to do without his permission, but what they had longed to do ever since they first saw him-buried their cold hands in the beautiful sea of fur and stoked it and, so doing, walked with him. (pp.149-150)

My emotions were heavy as I read this aloud to the girls. I have had longings to have Jesus be a physical presence in my life. I long sometimes to see Him, for Him to touch me, to hold me, just to feel Him. But as I read this, the picture of the girls having a moment where they reached out to touch Aslan was too much for me. I hadn't thought of wanting to touch Jesus myself until that moment. What an incredible, scary moment that must have been. He knew the desire of their heart and He granted it in that simple gesture.

As I finished the chapter and try to collect my emotions, I began to think about the desires of my heart. I know the moment that I will have to touch Jesus someday has been put on the top of my list.



2 comments:

Lacy said...

Having owned the book for a long time, I've never read it. I always wanted to read the entire series to Judah. I tried to start it last year, but he just couldn't handle it. I gave it a whirl this past week and we both couldn't put it down!
We started with the "Magician's Newphew."
When Digory looked Aslan in the eyes for the first time... oh my! I lost it. I just wanted to crawl up in the Lord's arms and feel as safe as Aslan made Digory feel! Thank you for inspiring us to begin the story. We start "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" tongiht!

Lacy said...

uh, toNIGHT.... that is.
Did you know I graduated with honors? :)

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mother of 4 little girls who fill my life with so much joy and satisfaction. I love it!!!